Our VP of Strategy Josh Selfe recently presented to a cohort of students from the Summer Discovery program online. With more than 500,000+ cyber security job openings across the U.S. today (CyberSeek.org) and only 3% of bachelor’s degree graduates have cyber-related skills, there is a clear need to communicate the routes to starting a cyber security career path to today’ students.
Josh discussed several key points related to pursuing a career in cyber security. Namely:
- Myths and misconceptions behind the field of cyber security
- How interconnected our common devices are (and prone to cyber-attacks) — cyber is relevant to everyone in and outside the IT field
- Steps to exploring specific disciplines in the vast world of cyber security
- Follow cyber and IT influencers online to learn vernacular and specialty areas
- Learn about specific subsets of cyber practices and tools
- Gain hands-on experience building skills in a gamified cyber range
- Technical, professional and academic skills needed to thrive in the sector
Watch the entire presentation below and let us know what steps you took to enter into a cyber career that the future workforce may find helpful.